If you’ve just become a Mum, firstly, congratulations on your new family member! If you’re a brand-new Mum then the thought of exercising probably isn’t high on your priority list. There’s feeding routines, hormones and of course sleep to focus on! Pregnancy, birth and the early baby stages are physically and mentally exhausting, plus, you may feel out of shape and afraid to get back in the gym.
Relax! CrossFit Box Hill is here to help you with some great training tips for brand new Mums. If this article rings true then you need to book in for a trial class, and let us help you get started.
- Don’t rush: Your body has been through a lot, and it’s really important that you allow yourself time to properly recover. Whilst you may be keen to get back into your pre-baby shape, if you’ve had a C-section, you’ll need to wait at least 6 weeks before you can start any lifting or vigorous exercise. Regular births can allow for exercise sooner but it’s still important to take it slowly. Be patient with yourself and understand that you may not have the same energy or fitness levels as you did before and you know what? That’s ok!
- Buy A Good Sports Bra: Your body has gone through numerous changes and if you’re breastfeeding, you will need to factor that in. Buy a good sports bra before you start training to ensure that you get the support you need and don’t feel uncomfortable. Here are some great options you could consider.
- Book a Trial Class: Even if you were a fitness pro before your pregnancy, your workout may need to be adjusted by your trainer, now that you’ve had your baby. At CrossFit Box Hill we tailor workouts to every individual in every class. We are always here to offer advice and guide you on how to ease back into training.
- Focus on exercises that help your post-baby body: Child birth can often cause weakened pelvic floor muscles so after you have allowed 6 weeks to pass, you can incorporate pelvic floor exercises into your new fitness routine. But be careful not to overdo it – and definitely no tummy crunches before your six-weeks has passed.
- Be careful with weight training: Childbirth, especially C-section or a birth that has involved stitches, can equal no heavy lifting for some time afterwards. With CrossFit, there are plenty of effective exercises you can do without the weights. At CrossFit Box Hill we are very experienced with re-introducing new mums back into exercise and our Coaches are on hand every session to guide you through what you can do, and what you need to still wait a while to do.
- Enjoy yourself: Training can be a great experience for new Mums who want to grab some time out and focus on working towards a new fitness goal. Most importantly, our gym offers a friendly and motivational environment where you will meet great people. Plus our 9:15am classes are child friendly.
- Watch what you eat: This is by far the easiest and most beneficial part you can do for yourself and your new bub. Our Coaches are experts in nutrition and offer an easy to follow meal plan to get you on the road back to your Pre Baby body and better!
Ready to get back into training? We would love to have you! Get started now by clicking here to book into a FREE trial class.
Alternatively, if your part of a mothers group and you would like to workout together, we run private sessions for groups of 5 or more for as little as $14 per person.